As I looked through my refrigerator trying to determine what to write about today, I found a celery bunch that needed to be used up. We got it in our vegetable and fruit order for the week and no one will eat celery in our house. I’m not sure why, but it usually just goes bad. So, I decided to use it in a soup and see how that went. I checked various recipes out online and combined a few. My husband and I really liked the cream of celery soup and our daughter refused to try it. She opted for good old macaroni and cheese. Someday, I hope she gets a little more adventurous in her eating!
The following recipe made about 4 servings.
2-1/4 cups chicken stock (2 1/4 cups water plus 1-1/2 tsp of Cook’s Delight Natural Chicken Soup Base No MSG)
You can substitute the chicken soup base for Cook’s Delight vegetable soup base to make a vegetarian soup
9 ounces celery, chopped
3 ounces carrots, chopped
2 ounces onions, chopped (I combined white and purple onions)
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
1-1/8 cups milk
1-1/8 cups heavy whipping cream
3 tablespoons butter
1. Combine water and Cook’s Delight Natural Chicken Soup Base No MSG in a stock pot and bring to a boil.
2. Add the celery, carrots and onion to the pot. Medium heat.
3. Heat the milk and cream. Whisk in the flour and pepper and heat until hot.
4. Put butter into stock pot with vegetables.
5. Pour the milk/cream mixture into stock pot and mix in well.
6. Cook on medium heat for 10 minutes. Stir frequently.
7. Strain out vegetables and reserve liquid stock in the stock pot.
8. Put vegetables in a cuisinart and blend until smooth.
9. Return vegetables back to stock pot and reheat the soup.